Saturday, November 10, 2018

"Endangered Species" is Almost Here!


Endangered Species, the first volume in the Fanzine trilogy, will be ready for Amazon Kindle soon!

A novel made of the stories, editorials, letters of comment and essays from an amateur magazine, Endangered Species encompasses aspects of fantasy, horror, humor and action-thriller.  But why take my word for it?  Chester W. Monday, Editor of OMNIBUS, the fanzine in question, has this to say about Endangered Species: Fanzine Volume One:

I had no idea putting together an amateur magazine could become so strenuous.  I was doing better than my writers, however.  Gwen ended up being chased by a giant raccoon -- with a chainsaw:
*
"The Poulan motor growled behind us.  Lee all but long-jumped down the hall.  I paused at the entrance.  I had to see.
"The chainsaw paddle vanished as its wielder twisted to ram the door.  The half-splintered barrier crashed inwards.
"And reality ceased to have meaning for me.  Yes, I’d read 'Endangered Species.'  Several times, in fact.  Yes, I believed every word of it.  But seeing a six-foot-tall raccoon, wearing a muzzle/hockey mask and greasy overalls and hauling around a smoke-spewing black and yellow chainsaw – that was the Nope Express leaving the station for Nopeville, Nope Dakota."
*
Damon found himself caught up in the 'Possum Apocalypse:

"The horn blared again.  Something dropped from the hood to the road.  I saw it only in silhouette, but the steam-engine hiss told me it was another opossum.
"I kept to the guardrail to avoid the blinding headlights.  Down the road, beyond the Jeep, Randall exploded out of the underbrush.  Son of a bitch if there wasn’t a naked-tailed marsupial clinging to his leg.
“'’Possum Apocalypse!' he screamed.  He smacked the offending animal with his battery lamp and finally shook it off.
I paused to kick away the critter from the Jeep’s hood.  Yet another gray ‘possum dropped onto the vehicle’s roof from the clawlike branches of a cottonwood.
“'When you’re right, you’re right!' I cried."
*
Brandy woke up one fine spring morning to discover she had been transformed into a Himalayan snow leopard:

"I drew my right hand close.  I made a fist – half a fist, at least.  I found black pads nearly hidden in fluffy white fur, and the tips of sharp yellow nails.  The mitten did have a thumb, like a fat tick with its own little fishhook of a claw.
"I twisted over and pushed myself up with my mittened hands.  I looked back along my right side.  An expanse of slush gray and ivory white fur.  A thick haunch and a double-jointed leg.  A curve of black-white tail, more thickly furred at the tip than at the base.
"I wheezed with a scrape like a cross-cut saw.  I tried moving my foot.  A white hind paw kicked at the pink rug."
*
. . . And now whoever, whatever is behind these bizarre events has focused its attention on me!  My imaginary childhood playmate has returned from Limbo to help me, but I don't find that very reassuring:

“'Chester!'
"I didn’t recognize the voice.  I was still asleep enough that this didn’t bother me.
"'Come on, Mate, we haven’t much time!'
"I was pulled to a sitting position on the couch.  I even felt a couple of pats to the cheek.  I opened my eyes angrily.
"I focused on a muzzled face of the palest tan, with whiskers and a harelip, big brown shiny eyes, and long, donkeylike ears that poked up through the brim of an Australian ranger hat.
"A chocolate-brown paw clamped over my mouth just as I tried to scream.  The marsupial had quite a grip – yes, my rude awakener was Mr. Kangaroo, unseen lo, these many years."
*
All this and more awaits you in Endangered Species: Fanzine Volume One.  If we survive long enough to publish it!


No comments:

Post a Comment